Category: Community

Community | Irlam Primary School win Year 3 and 4 Sky Try

The Salford Red Devils Foundation ran the Year 3 and Year 4 Sky Try Touch Festival earlier today and the afternoon was well attended by local schools.
Irlam Primary, one of the Salford Red Devils Foundation’s partner schools, overcame fourteen other teams to win the whole competition.
Irlam Primary went through the competition unbeaten not losing any of their seven outings. They even achieved a perfect defensive record not conceding a single try in any game – a huge feat.
The Salford Red Devils Foundation Category Three U19’s Academy game was unfortunately postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, but a handful of the team helped out at the festival and made sure the occasion was a success.
Salford Red Devils Foundation and the Club would like to thank all the schools for attending and the Academy players for joining in with the running of the event.
The schools who were attended are as follows: 
Christchurch, Peel Hall, Summerville, Irlam Endowed, St Paul’s Neville Road, Broadoak, St Paul’s Heathside, St George’s, Moorside, James Brindley, Mesne Lea, Irlam Primary, Lewis Street, Lark Hill and Beech Street.

Salford RLFC Supporters’ Trust to trial bus service

The Salford RLFC Supporters’ Trust are set to trial a supporters’ travel option at the Hull FC game on Friday 16th March.
A coach will pick up fans wishing to attend the game at locations throughout Salford. The service commences at 6pm at Gala Bingo, Hankinson Way, Salford and will return from the AJ Bell Stadium.
For more information on how to book click here.
Tickets are available for our home game against Hull FC and can be purchased online, over the phone on 0161 786 1570 or at the Club Ticket Office. All ticket prices can be found here.

Salford Red Devils to host two more volunteer evenings

Salford Red Devils, in conjunction with the Salford Red Devils Foundation and the Salford RLFC Supporters’ Trust, have arranged two more volunteer programme evenings. 
These evenings will be held at the AJ Bell Stadium on Wednesday 14th March and Monday 16th April (7:30pm-9:00pm) and will offer an insight into the opportunities to volunteer with the Red Devils and the Red Devils Foundation in areas such as fan liaison, on the pop-up shop, coaching, around the heritage of the Club and much more.
A number of volunteers helped out at Reception and with general fan liaison at the game against Hull Kingston Rovers on Friday 23rd February.
We appreciate all the help our volunteers provide, and we are hoping to expand the volunteer programme in the coming months.
If you’d be interested in volunteering with the Salford Red Devils or the Salford Red Devils Foundation please E-Mail volunteer@salfordreddevils.net.

Chairman’s Corner with Andrew Rosler | The East Stand

New Year 2018 presented me with a belated Christmas gift – It wasn’t a gift I’d expected or even asked for, but it was one I was keen to make productive use of straight away.
The gift was that of the Directorship of Salford Red Devils Rugby League Club, or rather, the gift of being the voice of the newly established Board of Directors.  
Salford was – and still is – a club that I had held close to my heart as a supporter for as long as I can remember, and a club that I had taken an active involvement with during recent years in having served to support them as a functioning business. As a professional Business Recovery Expert in my ‘day job’, my role as Director of Ideal Corporate Solutions in Bolton was key in ensuring that the Club served itself well as a business during recent years, so that it could continue in a positive fashion as a community-focused entity for the people of Salford and the wider local area.
Over the coming weeks, months and years – in the hope that the good people of Salford will continue to welcome me – my aim is to lead Salford Red Devils in the way that such leadership was intended when handed over to the Board just a few months ago, and that is to work for the benefit of the fans, the community, and the young people we hope to develop or attract as sports people of the future.  
With this in mind, the first project I ask our community to get behind is that of the ‘East Stand Initiative’. This is a concept by where the Club will be gifting thousands of pounds worth of tickets to the Salford Red Devils Foundation, which serves as the independent charitable arm of our Club and is based within our fine stadium here at the AJ Bell. It is hoped that the Foundation will use its strong community links to fill the East Stand on match days, with local people who may otherwise never have purchased a ticket. We need to look at building the concept of ‘fans of the future’, but we also need to look at promoting a trip to the AJ Bell Stadium not purely as a chance to watch a game of Rugby League (it’s not everybody’s proverbial cup of tea, after all), but rather turn matchdays into more of a carnival style experience, whereby we use the community gathering to celebrate local music, dance and other community arts and sports as part of the ‘festival feel’ of game days.  
The financial idea behind the East Stand Initiative is that the money generated from the sale of tickets will be split equally between the Foundation and a raft of local charities or not-for-profit groups who could benefit from such a cash boost. Money invested into the Foundation will contribute to – and support the development of – young players, which is a post from me for another time. Meanwhile, the money going back out into the community can support anything from a local junior grassroots sports team to a community brass band or senior citizens club.  If there’s a charitable or community-based aim, we want to be a part of it. Put simply, our aim is to ensure that businesses such as ours can actively support good causes in the local area.
In getting this initiative to really kick off, I’m asking all fans of Salford Red Devils to get behind the project and take to social media to promote its worth.  Likewise, get in touch with the Club www.salfordreddevils.net/contact/ or Foundation www.salfordreddevilsfoundation.co.uk/contact/  and tell us what role you see your local Rugby League Club playing in your community. If you’d be interested in claiming community tickets 
Thanks,
Andrew Rosler.

THE RIGHT CULTURE WAS KEY TO U16’S SUCCESS

Danny Barton Assesses The Fortunes Of His U16s Squad Over The 2018 Season
With their 56-22 defeat of Featherstone last weekend, the Red section of the U16s squad simultaneously brought down the curtain on their 2018 mini-season, whilst bringing the overall tally of wins to a most creditable seven out of eight outings, with the one loss coming with the visit by the Black group to Leigh.
For Player Development Manager, Danny Barton, this was an extremely satisfying outcome, and just reward for all the work, which he, and his coaching staff, have put in with the players during the build up to, and during the season itself.
“Winning so many of our games has completely surpassed the expectations I had at the start of the season,” he divulges.  “The players have really improved from where they left off last year, and we now need to take that forward into next year.”
He is convinced that much of the success has come as a result of the culture which the coaches have engendered within the group.
“It’s all about providing the environment in which to get the best out of each of them,” he believes, “and that is what we try to set up all the time, by giving them little clues and tips of how to go about things, rather than being overly directive.”
Despite such a high success rate, Danny  has no difficulty in singling out two of the matches which gave him greatest satisfaction.
“Going up to Newcastle with the Red side, to take on a particularly strong and physically superior home side, was great,” he considers.  “We went 12-0 behind, but from that point on the lads really dug in well, and turned that deficit into 40-18 victory.
“Likewise, when the Black team defeated Featherstone, upon their previous visit here, they, too, had had to stand up to some really big players.”
Now that the season has come to an end, the task of keeping in contact with, and monitoring the progress and performances of the players with their amateur clubs begins.
“We had a meeting with them all and their parents, last Monday evening, when we outlined the details of future arrangements, and were overwhelmed with the uptake from them,” Danny explains.  “This means that the majority of this U16s squad will be progressing to join the U19s College Academy in six months’ time, for their pre-season training.
“There will be a good nucleus of talent there, some of whom we feel will be capable of progressing into the first team.”
Before then, however, the whole group will be returning at the end of March for their Awards Evening to celebrate what has been a wholly successful season.